Did You Know? Interesting Facts About Dental Implants
We’ve written extensively about different questions we receive about dental implants from our patients here in San Diego. We’ve taken a look at the safety of dental implants, discussed what you can eat after receiving dental implants, examined the benefits of dental implants, and even presented an e-book that answers all of our most frequently asked questions.
Today we would like to deliver a few interesting facts, presented by the American Academy of Implant Dentistry, about dental implants in order to provide even more education to our fantastic patients.
1. 69% of Americans aged 35-44 have at least one missing tooth.
2. Dental implants trace back to ancient times, with the first implant treatment performed around 600 AD by the Mayans. In this case, tooth-like pieces of shell were hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman. (yikes)
3. Teeth that have been restored with the use of dental implants cannot get cavities. This is obviously a huge benefit to the treatment.
4. Dental implants are made out of titanium, a metal that provides a very strong and sturdy foundation.
5. Dental implants have been proven safe and effective, and the AAID was established in 1951 to create a body to share best practices and enhance dental implant treatments and outcomes for thousands of patients.